follow us on...

Men’s lacrosse: Washington College bows to Dickinson College in Centennial Conference title game

Sunday, 6th May 2012

Categories Boy's/Men's, College, Posted 5/6/12
From Press Release

Thirteenth-ranked Dickinson College won its second consecutive Centennial Conference Men’s Lacrosse Championship, defeating 18th-ranked host Washington College, 11-6, in the championship game this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The Red Devils (14-3) held the Shoremen (11-5) scoreless for a span of 36:29 during the game, building a 7-2 lead with five unanswered goals.

Washington took its only lead of the game when senior attackman Dominic Serio (Finksburg, MD/Mount St. Joseph) opened the scoring 4:21 into the contest. Brian Cannon scored for the Red Devils with 5:30 left in the first quarter while Christian Beitel scored off a Ward Gruppo feed 1:15 later to give Dickinson a 2-1 lead. Junior attackman Bennett Cord (Gaithersburg, MD/Gaithersburg) evened the score 15 seconds later with an unassisted tally as the two teams were deadlocked, 2-2, after the first quarter.

The Red Devils scored all three of the goals in the second quarter. Richard Craft found Tyler White for a goal with 11:44 left, Cannon scored off a Brian Gleason assist with 6:59 to go, and Cannon fed Sam Greenberg for a goal with 5:39 remaining to give Dickinson a 5-2 halftime lead.

Neither team scored in the third quarter until Nick Leon scored off a Matt Cherry assist with 22 seconds left. Greenberg than scored off a Cannon feed just 41 seconds into the fourth quarter as the lead grew to 7-2. Washington finally ended its drought when sophomore midfielder Hunter Nowicki (Baltimore, MD/Franklin) scored off a Cord assist with 12:31 left in the game.

The Red Devils squashed any hope of a Washington rally by scoring four of the next five goals, opening up an 11-4 lead on a goal by Bobby Kingsley off an assist from Cannon with 5:29 remaining in the game. Sophomore midfielder Kodie Englehart (Coronado, CA/Coronado) scored the last two goals of the game for the Shoremen to provide the final margin.

Dickinson’s defense set the tone over the first three quarters, forcing 21 Washington turnovers while allowing just 17 shots during that span. Peter Zouck had six ground balls and three caused turnovers for Dickinson, while Draper Donley added five ground balls and three caused turnovers. Greg Hanley made 12 saves in goal for the Red Devils.

Offensively, the Red Devils were led by Greenberg, who scored on all four of his shots, and Cannon, who scored two goals and handed out three assists. Ten of Dickinson’s 11 goals were assisted. Dickinson finished with a 34-29 advantage in shots in the game.

Cord scored two goals and had one assist for Washington to lead the Shoremen offensively. Senior goalie Peter Stewart (Annapolis, MD/St. Mary’s) made 12 saves for Washington.

The Red Devils earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament, which begins Wednesday, with the win. The Shoremen will await word on a possible at-large bid to the tournament. Selections and pairings will be announced tonight at 10 p.m. on



Latest Headlines